FIFA has decided to conduct feasibility study to explore the possible impact of holding the FIFA World Cup and the FIFA Women's wolrd cup every two years instead of the current four-year interval.
The proposal was presented by Saudi Arabian football association in 71st FIFA congress held online on Friday night.
The 71st FIFA Congress has also unanimously voted to bring the bidding process for the hosting of the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ in line with the process for the men’s FIFA World Cup™. The allocation of all future hosts will be voted on by the FIFA Congress, just as is the case with the FIFA World Cup, and will no longer be decided by the FIFA Council (as was still the case most recently in June 2020, when Australia and New Zealand were announced as hosts of the 2023 edition in a transparent vote).
The FIFA Congress approved a number of proposals submitted by member associations, namely:
- that a comprehensive consultation process be conducted to explore opportunities for women’s global competitions, including a women’s world league (proposal put forward by the Jamaica Football Federation);
- that a feasibility study be carried out to explore the possible impact of holding the FIFA World Cup and the FIFA Women’s World Cup every two years instead of the current four-year interval (proposal put forward by the Saudi Arabian Football Federation); and
- that the FIFA administration make a proposal for the future of FIFA’s youth competitions (proposal put forward by the Liberian Football Association).
The FIFA Congress also voted on the election and/or re-election of the chairpersons and deputy chairpersons of the independent committees:
- US Department of Justice Awards FIFA Foundation USD 201 Million Compensation
- 500 Days To Go To Qatar 2022: All FIFA World Cup™ Stadiums Ready A Year Before KO
- International Stakeholder Group To Support Ensuring An Inclusive FIFA World Cup Launched
- FIFA Publishes First-ever Comprehensive Analysis Of The Elite Women’s Football Landscape
- 71st FIFA Congress Today; ANFA Officials To Take Part Online