Qatar has announced the completion of Education City Stadium – the third tournament-ready venue for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. The stadium’s completion was marked during special programmes on the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy’s (SC) social media platforms on Monday.
The highlight of the programmes was a speech by The Amir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani.
Launching Education City Stadium digitally, and in compliance with the protective measures implemented by Qatar, affirms the SC’s commitment to deliver its projects on schedule – despite the current circumstances. The stadium’s successful completion was dedicated to frontline workers who have worked tirelessly during the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Nicknamed the ‘Diamond in the Desert’, the 40,000-capacity venue, located within Qatar Foundation’s Education City, is the first World Cup stadium to achieve a five-star sustainability rating under the Global Sustainability Assessment System.
H.E. Hassan Al Thawadi, Secretary General of the SC, said: “The completion of Education City Stadium is yet another milestone as we inch ever closer to the first FIFA World Cup in the Middle East and Arab world.
“Launching the stadium now – while the world is overcoming the coronavirus pandemic – shows everyone that there is light at the end of the tunnel and brighter days ahead. We are proud to pay tribute to the frontline workers who remain at the forefront in the battle against COVID-19 and look forward to bringing the world together – at this stadium and others – using the unifying power of football in 2022.”
- GWC Announced As Regional Supporter and Official Logistics Provider for FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™
- AFC and AURORA Expand Pioneering Youth Development Programme Across Asia
- AFC Prez Khalifa: The Return Of Asian Competition Offers A Noble Message In The Fight Against COVID-19 Pandemic
- COVID Pandemic: Former Iraq International Passes Away
- Asian Football: Football Resumes In Thailand and Vietnam