The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) has notified its Member Associations that, in line with Article 32.1 of the AFC Statutes, the election for the members of the AFC Executive Committee (for a four-year term, 2019 – 2023) will be held at the 29th AFC Congress in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on April 6, 2019.
The positions for which the elections will be held are:
* AFC President and FIFA Vice President;
* Five AFC Vice Presidents;
* Six FIFA Council Members, one of whom shall also be an AFC Female Executive Committee Member;
* A total of five AFC Female Executive Committee Members, one of whom shall also be a FIFA Council member; and
* A further nine AFC Executive Committee members.
Nomination forms must be submitted to the AFC General Secretariat by no later than 24.00 hours (midnight – Malaysia time) on December 6, 2018.
Under Article 38.2 of the AFC Statutes, candidates for the position of AFC President must be nominated by three Member Associations, but not necessarily by their own Member Association. Article 30 (5) of the FIFA Statutes provides that each confederation President shall be a Vice-President ex-officio of the FIFA Council.
All other candidates for election to the AFC Executive Committee shall be proposed by their Member Association, including candidates for positions on the FIFA Council.
Member Associations can only propose one candidate for each position in the AFC Executive Committee and no Member Association can be represented by more than one member in the AFC Executive Committee. If a Member Association proposes more than one candidate for a position, all candidates proposed by that Member Association shall be declared invalid.
In accordance with Articles 27(5) and 30 (6) of the FIFA Statutes, candidates for positions on the FIFA Council will be subject to eligibility checks carried out by the FIFA Review Committee. In all other cases, pursuant to Article 9 of the AFC Electoral Code, the AFC Electoral Committee shall carry out eligibility checks and decide on the eligibility of the candidates.
The AFC Electoral Committee shall comprise Chairperson F Randall Cunliffe (Guam), and Deputy Chairpersons Lim Kia Tong (Singapore) and Andrew Hunter (Hong Kong).
The AFC Electoral Committee will be responsible for all tasks relating to the organisation, running and supervision of the elections.
- VAR Set For Historic Full Debut At AFC U23 Championship
- Afif and Kumagai Claim Top Honours In Dazzling AFC Annual Awards
- AFC Executive Committee Enhances Future AFC Asian Cups
- More Member Associations To Benefit From Inclusive AFC Champions League
- Nepali Journalist Wins AFC Dream Asia Award In Individual Category