The Football Association of Singapore has announced that the 2020 Singapore Premier League (SPL) is set to resume on October 17.
There has been no football on the island republic since the current season was suspended on March 24 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, although teams did begin training in small groups in June, with full training allowed from the beginning of September.
Ahead of the restart, a total of 223 players and SPL match officials produced negative results when tested for the virus. These tests will now be conducted every two weeks for the same group of personnel.
The remaining matches are, however, scheduled to be played behind closed doors with only essential matchday personnel, including medical staff, allowed to attend.
Following Friday’s decision, the campaign will recommence when Tanjong Pagar United host Balestier Khalsa at Jurong East Stadium and table-topping Tampines Rovers entertain Hougang United next Saturday.
It was also announced that the 2020 Singapore Cup has been cancelled in order to ensure the completion of this year’s league action.
- COVID Pandemic: Japan Held By Cameroon In Utrecht friendly
- Asian Football: Malaysian International Joins Portugese Top Flight Team
- Asian Football: Uzbekistan's Shomurodov Signs For Serie A's Genoa
- COVID Pandemic: Uzbekistan To Host IR Iran In September Friendly
- Transfers From January and Transfer Rumours For Premier League 2020 Season