The 29th Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Congress, held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia today, has re-elected Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa by acclamation for a second four-year term until 2023.
Shaikh Salman, whose Presidency began in May 2013, was the only candidate for the position.
There were initially three candidates confirmed by the AFC Electoral Committee following the completion of the eligibility checks on March 1, 2019.
The number was reduced following the withdrawals of HE Mohamed Khalfan Matar Saeed Al-Romaithi (UAE) and Mr. Saoud A. Aziz M A Al-Mohannadi (Qatar) – both of whom threw their full support behind Shaikh Salman.
- AFC’s #BreakTheChain Continues To Gather Overwhelming Support
- More Asian Stars Pledge Support To #BreakTheChain
- Asian Youth Games To Be Held In Shantou, China PR In November 2021
- Host Invitation For AFC Asian Cup 2027 Extended
- AFC President Pays Tribute To Healthcare, Frontline Professionals and Member Associations